Tuesday, October 30, 2018



FOR THE LOVE OF A DOG

     I do remember when, in my childhood, we did have a dog as our family pet.  But, since then until now I don’t have one and I don’t intend on having a pet.  Yet, my experience a couple of weeks ago has increased my respect for dog owners tremendously.  Our granddaughter has been visiting us and we were invited to join her when she decided to visit an animal rescue center and consider applying as a part time volunteer.  So, we went with her to the “Big Dog Ranch Rescue” (BDRR) at14444 Okeechobee Blvd. Loxahatchee, FL.  33473.  I am quite aware that there are many rescue centers for dogs and other animals.  There are many places for saving elephants.  Even on television there is a program called “Pit Bulls and Parolees” that provides adoption service.  But, my first and only visit to the BDRR was an education I will never forget.
     My understanding is that the mission of the BDRR is to rescue, rehabilitate and find a home for over 5,000 dogs a year.  It is recognized as the largest dog rescue in the country and with a large 33-acre cage free campus designed to save the lives and be the happiest place for dogs while they make the transition from being homeless to a new home.  It is a large nonprofit organization supported by donations, paid personnel and volunteers who assist part-time. I sincerely appreciate the BDRR effort to provide a facility that need not be a sad place for dogs.  Over the past 13 years, through April, 2018 over 25,000 dogs have been saved. It is a most impressive facility.  

    There are at least three or four buildings, each providing private compartments (called Runs) for each dog.   In some cases, dogs which had bonded with another when brought to the rescue center are sheltered together.  Each Run door has a large window which could be lifted so that someone could reach to pat a dog.   Whether the window is opened or not, each dog reached up to look out as you approached and looked at you as if to say, “Please let me out.”   As I watched each dog, I couldn’t help but compare the scene to a prison cell.  There was a back door to each Run that opened into a playground area like a park that allows dogs to run around, get exercise and, I guess, socialize with other dogs who also had released time.  Care, food, grooming and medical service is provided.  There is a sign on each door giving its name and breed. With all the volunteers and professional staff, no dog is neglected.   As a matter of fact, I noticed one dog was tethered on a leash and lying on a soft cushion in the hallway.  I asked one of the volunteers why it wasn’t in a Run.  I was told that its owner had recently passed away and the dog needed some time to adapt to the transition of being in the rescue center before being assigned to a Run.
     Nevertheless, with all the support, care, compassion and understanding given these dogs, they look at you as if to say,” Please take me home.”  My low-level sensitivities really touched me emotionally. The whole environment appeared to be similar to a prison.  My respect and honor go for the love of a dog.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment