Tuesday, January 1, 2019


CHANGE

    It is interesting to me that as life goes along nothing really remains constant. So, no matter what happens we are not in a position to keep or have anything to be perfectly still.  I am reminded of the famous saying, “Time and tide wait for no man”. I have heard it for years and now that I’m older my curiosity is perked as to its origin. It is clear the phrase is ancient and pre-dates modern English. My research indicates that its earliest known record is about 1225.  The notion “tide” being beyond man’s control reveals images of the ancient Danish King Canute.  He demonstrated to his courtiers the limits of a king’s power by failing to make the sea obey his command before he conquered England.  When this phrase was coined it came to mean a season, or a time, or a while. The word is still with us in that sense in “good tidings”, which refers to a good event or occasion.  I guess we can say that good and bad times come and go.  It’s up to us not to be caught up and stuck with the unhappy events.  Given the holiday season with us lets be thankful for our blessings and enjoy our friendships.   

No comments:

Post a Comment